Monday 13 December 2010

Expecting too much can leave you dissapointed!

Yesterday Jo and I took our naughty children Zippy and Maisy to a start line wait training day, I had been really looking forward to this seminar and I think I was hoping for a miracle cure! unfortunately I was disappointed, not necessarily with the training itself because there were some useful bits, my problem was that when I had called and described my problems I was told how the trainer had experienced the exact same issues and that now her very reactive dog was brilliant! unfortunately she told a different story at the beginning of the session saying that she was only able to leave her dog for 1.5 jumps before he broke! at our worst last year I couldn't take my finger out of Maisy's collar before she was off! so we were off to a bad start, also the trainer had her own dog in most of the training sessions, who insisted on barking and demanding her attention making it very difficult to hear anything she was saying and she was saying quite a lot! however on the plus side, I can see that with perseverance the method she used would have it's benefits and is definitely something I will work on with both Maisy and Rupert, even though Rupert has a lovely wait I will use the techniques around the rings so maybe the benefits of this course will be slow developing. I'll keep you posted.
I'm really enjoying Agility training with both dogs at the moment and have decided next season to work on my handling in the hope that when Rupert finally comes out in July I'll be giving clear confident commands so he can just enjoy the experience.

No comments: