Tuesday 29 December 2009

2009 round up

Well as 2009 comes to a close we can reflect on the highlights of the year and think about our aims and hopes for 2010. The Brickyard Bandits had a brilliant year, we have met so many great people and there is always a feeling of team spirit at flyball shows, something which is sadly lacking from other dog sports, both Jo and I tried our hand at judging which was a real experience and one which we both really enjoyed (mostly!) the young dogs came through their green stages and proved to be valuable members of the team, but we both agreed that we need to concentrate on Agility and therefore the Bandits will no longer be racing, which although sad, really is the best thing, we have been incredibly lucky not to have gained any serious injury's considering Maisy and Ronny are at full throttle all the time.

We have spent most of the year watching Summer grow in confidence before our eye's, Amy mainly focussed on obedience and with a little push also dabbled in flyball and agility, in the beginning Summer lacked motivation which we have found to be one of the downfalls in clicker training, but combining it with motivational training and their growing partnership 2010 looks set to be a good year, having said that she didin't do too badly in 2009, with 3 Crufts qualifiers under her belt that might take some beating for the next 12 months.


Ben & Dylan have had a fairly quiet year, Ben has really enjoyed retirement and the odd outing, however in 2010 he will join us at as many shows as he can manage, especially the camping ones, he really loves his little holidays and most of all he want to be with Amy whatever she is doing. Dylan will be entering more Agility I feel much more confident now in my handling so he will have a great time skipping around in his unique sprollie style, we might not be show stoppers but he dosen't need to know that SShhhhh.


I feel like I have come on a real journey with Maisy over the past 18 months, but I finally feel we are working as a partnership, there is still plenty of work to be done, mainly on my handling but I finally feel like I have my method worked out and the results have started to come, 2 jumping wins and a 2nd and at the past 2 shows only silly mistakes or the odd pole down proves the point, so I am excited about the 2010 season and my goal is simple - maintain a happy partnership, if we get a rosette or two along the way then all the better, obviously in real terms I'd like to progress up the grades but truely I'm really enjoying my dog.


And so to thanks - Thank you to our group of friends who always have something nice to say, who cheer even if it wasn't clear and who scream when it was!! and who share a glass (or two) of wine in the evening to celebrate. Thank you to Clare who has helped me so much and who has rewarded my help with some fantastic results of her own. Thank you to Jo for everything, especially at Portway earlier in the season when I was ready to give it all up! you have been a real friend this year and I'm really looking forward to giving you some good results for your hard work. And a real special thank you to Amy, who is my little rock, she has worked so hard this year with Summer and Dylan and I am rewarded when I see how much they have progressed, at the weekend lots of people commented on your improvement and I know 2010 is going to be a great year for you.


I hope you all have a great New Year and that 2010 brings you all you wish for XXX

No comments: