Tuesday 13 April 2010

Training Rupert Part 1

When I first realised I was actually getting Rupert I had decided that I really wanted to clicker train him because I feel that letting the dog work out the actions required would lead to a much deeper seated understanding of the command in the long run, I never set it in stone and have just let the training evolve into what suits us both, I was finding Rupert (maybe because he is a boy) soon got bored of having to work things out for himself resulting in a sort of role reversal making me work out how to keep his concentration throughout the training process, at his level I am talking about a few minutes at a time. I have started a routine whereby he is looking forward to his 1-1 time with me knowing that when I put the other dogs away and get the treat pot the fun will begin. I am slowly building his repetoir of skills by using games, key commands which are repeated throughout the session and making sure I keep things moving, so that he is not allowed to get bored and switch off. Today I began his stay training, he already knows sit and down and is quite happy to remain in the position while I madly run around throwing toys and will remain in his position until I say "Ready, Steady, GO" albeit about 10% of the time he might get over excited and jump up, but in those instances I just run back to him saying not yet and put him back into position and start again - after all he is only 15 weeks old! but today I decided there is no better training aid than an older dog who already has the skill, so Ben came out to help, I placed them both in the sit and walked around them, resting about 4 paces in front of Rupert sideways on, he probably sat for no more than 20 seconds, I then returned to them and released and then repeated this all over again in the down, making sure Rupert had rolled his hip to one side, the result was a confident stay in both positions, over the next few weeks I will slowly increase the time they are left and the distractions. below is a quick video of his recall thus far, plenty more work to do.

No comments: